What is Advent?
Advent is a time of spiritual preparation beginning four weeks before Christmas. It’s a time of focus and devotion that includes prayer, scripture reading centered on the birth of Jesus.
This year, Advent begins Sunday, Dec 3 and ends on Sunday, Dec 24.
Interested in starting a family tradition?
Here are some simple steps to help you celebrate Advent in your own home:
1) Buy an advent wreath with 4 candles - purple and rose (available on Amazon)
2) Set aside 10-15 minutes daily for a time of devotion and candle lighting in the following order:
Week 1 = Hope (purple candle)
Week 2 = Peace (purple candle)
Week 3 = Joy (rose candle)
Week 4 = Love (purple candle)
Note: Light candles in consecutive order. (e.g. Light 3 candles for week 3)
3) Opening prayer - Focus on candle theme (i.e. Hope, Peace, etc.)
4) Scripture reading - Will be provided on the back of Sunday worksheet and on our free PCC App (available for download for iPhone, iPad and Android).
5) Closing Prayer - Focus on specific reading
6) Optional: Sing the song O Come O Come Emmanuel